LOCTITE® Thread Sealants
A resilient, tight-clinging, non-curing sealant for tapered or parallel threads LOCTITE® DRI thread sealing products have excellent thread filling abilities that flow during assembly filling all voids in the mating threads. This causes an instant seal and resistance against vibrational loosening. It also provides excellent torque tension and lubricating characteristics that aid in assembly. LOCTITE® DRI instantly seals any joint, preventing leakages yet allowing easy disassembly and re-adjustment. Let our knowledgeable staff assist you in choosing which LOCTITE® DRI product is best for your application. Thread sealing is achieved as the anaerobic adhesive cures when confined in the absence of air, and between close metal fitting surfaces. This technology is ideal for joints, which are considered to be dynamic due to vibration, changing pressures or changing temperatures.
EXCEPTIONAL SEALING POWER
LOCTITE® Thread Sealant creates fasteners which provide an instant seal of over 2000 psi on both straight and tapered threads. Contains PTFE to help with lubricity and sealing.
OFFERS MULTIPLE REUSES
The materials applied through the LOCTITE® Thread Sealant process are non-hardening with lubricating properties, making fasteners easy to adjust, remove, and reuse
Although LOCTITE® Thread Sealant processed fasteners are primarily for sealing, they also provide a limited amount of resistance to vibrational loosening and thermal shock resistance through a wide range of temperatures
Materials used in the LOCTITE® Thread Sealants process are non-hazardous, non-flammable, and will not migrate into fluid systems like paste or tape sealants.
Sealants applied in LOCTITE® Thread Sealant processing are resistant to corrosion from brine, chlorine, acids, and alkalis. They effectively resist natural gas, butane, propane, motor fluids, and other chemicals.
LOCTITE® Thread Sealant processing inhibits corrosion between mating fasteners which prevents seizing and allows for easy removal.
- Saves Time: LOCTITE® THREAD SEALANT fasteners can be automatically fed through standard feeding devices – speeding up your process and improving productivity.
- Saves Money: LOCTITE® THREAD SEALANT processing is less expensive than hand applying bottled thread sealing compounds or tapes at the point of assembly.
- Quality Control: LOCTITE® THREAD SEALANT fasteners are coated to specification, ensuring consistent performance, unlike the variation from hand applying bottled products.
- Reliability: Under most operating conditions, LOCTITE® THREAD SEALANT fasteners are unaffected by vibration or reversal of stress and greatly reduce the need to re-tighten fasteners.
- Increased Margins: Add value to your fasteners without adding to inventory by supply customers with self-sealing fasteners.
- Easy to use: Works on a wide range of material finishes
- For the LOCTITE® THREAD SEALANT process, sealants are typically applied one to three threads back from the end of a fastener to assure ease of starting.
- Indefinite on part life under ideal storage conditions [+40°F (+4°C) to +90°F (+32°C)], but re-certification must occur once a year.
Why Using LOCTITE® Thread Sealants Is Better Than Traditional Sealant Types
- Solvent-based sealing compounds can shrink during cure as solvents evaporate. Fittings must be re-torqued to minimize voids. They lock the assembly by a combination of friction and deformation.
- PTFE tape lubricates in off direction, allowing fittings to loosen under dynamic loads and resulting in loss of clamping force and leakage. Dynamic loads may accelerate creep, causing leakage over time. The lubricating effect of PTFE frequently results in over-tightening of fasteners, adding stress or causing breakage of parts. Application requires good professional skills to avoid stressing fittings or castings.
- Hemp and paste are slow to apply, are messy to assemble, and interfere with the torque needed to obtain the correct pre-stress. These can require re-work to achieve a 100% seal of the assembly.